Things You Did Not Know About Dice
There is something in the dice that generates a certain pleasure when rolling them. The adrenaline that is released while they roll (for a few nanoseconds) on the green cloth of the top online casino malaysia game table, as well as the desire for the numbers that will make you win, is the perfect combination so that the hours you spend playing with them are fly by. But where did those artifacts come from? We leave you ten historical data on the dice that will surprise you.
- The oldest existing dice is approximately 5 thousand years old, carved from bone, and was found in Persia (present-day Iran).
- Like playing cards, many scholars claim that dice were initially used for “divinatory” purposes.
- Although the oldest die was found in Persia, there are records that something similar already existed at the same time in the Roman Empire. Supposedly the soldiers used to carve them out of animal bones and throw them to entertain themselves whenever they settled somewhere.
- According to some historians, dice were also common items among the belongings of the citizens of Ancient Egypt, 2,500 BC. In fact, the oldest 20-sided dice were found there and was carved in stone in 300 AD. BC (approximately).
- Sophocles, an ancient Greek tragic poet, mentions in his works that it was the soldier Palamedes who invented dice, like chess.
- At the time of the Crusades (AD 1095-1290), English soldiers copied an Islamic dice game, adapted it, and named it Hazard’s game. Later it became popular and expanded to various places in Europe.
- After becoming staples in games in Europe, dice were brought to America in the 17th century by the English.
- In the 18th century, when the French founded the City of New Orleans, they began to be used to play Crebs (which was later renamed Craps).
- Although conventional dice are usually cubic, there are also different shapes and with more (or less) faces. These are usually used for educational purposes and in various board games.
- In the popular Dungeons and Dragons game, seven different dice are used, a situation that makes it the board game in which more dice are used.